How to Make CBD Oil at Home
CBD oil is gaining popularity as an alternative remedial therapy for a variety of ailments and even acts as a supplement with many health benefits. There are many high quality CBD oil brands out there that are worth considering to try before making one yourself.
Now, in this article, we’ll talk about the two easiest ways of making CBD oil at home.
But before we delve into that, let’s understand how CBD works.
How CBD Oil Works?
Cannabidiol, most commonly known as CBD, is one of over 110 active cannabinoids found in marijuana plants. CBD has a natural ability to bind with receptor sites in our body (like the brain and the immune system) and it works to restore your body to its optimum level of functionality. By influencing the activity controlled by the body’s receptor sites, CBD oil is known for its utility when it comes to manage pain, anxiety and depression, insomnia, psychosis, muscle spasms, neurodegenerative disorders and many other ailments or disease such as diabetes.
The body’s endocannabinoid (ECS) system is responsible for the physical and psychological effects of cannabis on the human body, as well as for the regulation of bodily functions including appetitie, mood, metabolism, sleep, immune function, temperature, digestion, cardiovascular function, neural development, memory and learning, and reproduction. Besides these, the ECS system is also responsive to fighting illness in the body.
This ability to regulate and influence the endocannabinoid system makes CBD effective as a remedy for many health issues. As more scientific studies attest to the healing effects of CBD oil, the scope of this marijuana extract as a healing alternative are growing.
Why use CBD Oil?
In addition to the possible health benefits listed above, CBD oil supplements also provide the body with some essential oils that are often missing from our daily nutrition intake. This can include vitamins and minerals, omega fatty acids, flavonoids and even important proteins and terpenes.
Since CBD oil does not contain THC, it is not psychoactive and won’t leave you with a high. Before understanding the process of making CBD oil, you can get here to understand the key benefits of using CBD oil.
Different Ways to Make CBD Oil
Now that we have understood how CBD oil works on the ECS as well as the many benefits that it offers, let’s talk about making your own CBD oil.
The’ Oil Method’ of extracting CBD oil is considered as one of the safest ways of doing so. With this method, you will need to use a carrier oil, such as coconut or olive oil. This method is gaining popularity as it is completely safe, free of unwanted residues and the user gets the benefits of the extracted CBD as well as that of the carrier oil.
A step-by-step guide to making CBD oil through the oil method:
Before getting started, understand that the quality of cannabis you use will dictate the quality of the final product. This is why it is best to pick a high-quality strain that was sourced from a reputed retailer.
- To get started, choose buds, leaves, and stems of a high-quality cannabis plant. However, before you get started, ensure that the raw cannabis has gone through the process of decarboxylation. To do this, bake the buds and leaves at a temperature of approximately 220°F for 90 to 100 minutes. In layman’s terms, this process refers to heating the plant at a certain temperature for a specific period of time to activate the plant’s chemicals.
- In a mason jar, mix the ground-up weed with the carrier oil of your choice and then saturate the weed with the oil. You can adjust the quantity of oil or add more depending on how potent you want the end product to be.
- Once the saturation has occurred, it is time to bring the oil-weed mixture to a boil. Screw the lid of the mason jar securely to ensure that no steam or water enters the oil mixture.
- On the bottom of the pan, place a towel. Place the mason jar on the top and fill the pan with water until it reaches a temperature of at least 200 degrees. (Make sure to use a thermometer)
- Regularly check the pot to ensure that the water has not evaporated. Turn off the stove after letting the oil mixture simmer for three hours and then let it sit for another three hours.
- After this is done, it is recommended to heat the oil mixture again for three hours, to turn off the heat, and leave it again for the night.
- The next morning, your CBD oil will be ready to use. Proceed ahead by straining the mixture through cheesecloth and storing in a cool, dark and dry place.
The ‘Alcohol Method’ is also known as the ethanol method. One of the pros of this CBD oil-extraction process is that it does not require special skills or advanced equipment, making it a great choice for beginners.
Alcohol, the extracting agent in this process, is preferred as it does not leave an unpleasant taste or odour as opposed to other agents.
A step-by-step guide to making CBD oil through the alcohol method:
- Start by placing the marijuana in a ceramic or glass bowl. Cover it with alcohol and stir for about 6 minutes. Once this is done, use a wooden spoon to extract the resin produced as a result of the process.
- Place a straining bag/sieve in the bowl to filter out the solvent. Squeeze out as much extract as possible. If you feel that more oil extraction is possible from the weed, repeat this squeezing process.
- In a double boiler, pour the extracted oil and heat it until bubbles start to form. The aim is to make the alcohol evaporate without raising the temperature. Wait until the oil simmers for about thirty minutes on a very low flame. Once the alcohol evaporates completely, mix it and turn off the flame.
- Once cooled, transfer the concentrated extract in a storage bottle with a tight lid in a cool, dark and dry place.
The Best Marijuana Strains for CBD Oil Extraction
As mentioned before, the quality of cannabis you use will dictate the quality of the final product. This is why, for those looking at making their own CBD oil, it is necessary to choose the appropriate marijuana strain for their individual needs.
Finally, there’re chances that your CBD oil won’t live up to your expectation. In that case, don’t hesitate to get yourself the best brand in the market.