Shipping CBD Oil: Where Can You Legally Ship CBD?
Is it Legal to Send CBD Oil Through the Mail?
Yes, it is legal to ship CBD oil in the mail across the United States, but Federal law specifically states that it must contain less than 0.3% THC and must be derived from hemp as opposed to cannabis. That’s right, according to federal law, it is legal in all 50 states.
eCommerce entrepreneurs involved in shipping CBD oils should keep these regulations closely in mind to ensure their farm and production operating are 100% compliant and legal.
Can USPS Send CBD Oil in the Mail?
Yes, USPS can ship CBD oil in the mail, though certain guidelines must be followed.
In March 2019, USPS issued new guidelines for sending hemp-derived CBD products through the mail, requiring that anyone looking to ship CBD products like cannabidiol oil provide the following documentation:
- A signed self-certification statement, subject to the False Statements Act. Statements must be printed on the mailer’s own letterhead, must be signed by the mailer, and must include the text “I certify that all information furnished in this letter and supporting documents are accurate, truthful, and complete. I understand that anyone who furnishes false or misleading information or omits information relating to this certification may be subject to criminal and/or civil penalties, including fines or imprisonment.”
- The industrial hemp producer possesses a license issued by the Department of Agriculture, for the state where the post office/acceptance unit is located, which includes documentation identifying the producer by name and showing the mailer is authorized by the registered producer to market products manufactured by that producer.
- The industrial hemp, or products produced from industrial hemp, contains a delta-9 THC concentration of not more than 0.3% on a dry weight basis.
The advisory also states that the CBD oil should be mailed with a self-signed certification statement, documentation showing your legal authorization to ship CBD products and a laboratory report regarding the THC concentration of the CBD oil.
Providing this documentation and following the guidelines issued by USPS can help to ensure that your product is delivered safely without any legal complications.
Can UPS Ship CBD Oil?
Yes, private couriers such as UPS, FedEx and DHL can also ship CBD oil to customers across the United States. Online merchants involved in shipping cannabidiol oil still must abide by Federal regulations and ensure their product is derived from hemp and contains less than 0.3% THC.
How to Ship CBD Oil
When shipping CBD oil, be sure to take the following steps:
- Ensure that the cannabidiol oil conforms to Federal regulations.
- Whether shipping with USPS or a private courier, err on the side of caution and abide by USPS’ guidelines on shipping CBD oil by providing the documentation issued in their March 2019 advisory.
- Choose shipping boxes with the correct dimensions and place the CBD oils inside, protecting them with packing peanuts, bubble wrap or airbags. Secure the boxes with packing tape.
- Schedule a pickup from the courier of your choice.
Shipping CBD Oil Overseas
While it’s legal to send CBD oil throughout the United States, shipping cannabidiol oil internationally runs into numerous complications depending on the regulations currently on the books in specific countries.
As of 2019, CBD products are legal in the following countries, typically as long as they’re extracted from industrial hemp and generally contain less than 0.2 percent THC:
- United Kingdom
- South Korea
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Hong Kong
- Republic of Slovenia
- South Africa
- Virgin Islands
- New Zealand
CBD products are banned in the following countries:
- United Arab Emirates
Australia is a unique case due to its changing laws. Though the Australian government legalized cannabis for medical reasons in 2016 and reclassified CBD from a prohibited drug to being legal by prescription only, CBD is still highly regulated and available to only a limited number of people by medical prescription without exception.
Ultimately, before shipping cannabidiol oil overseas, thoroughly research the exact laws governing the importation of CBD products into the country you’re looking to ship to in order to avoid any unwelcome surprises!
Shipping CBD Oil: Know the Laws and Shipping Solutions
CBD oil has become increasingly popular and accepted in the mainstream in recent years, but there are still laws and regulations that must be followed. By having a better understanding of the laws that govern cannabidiol oil both in the U.S. and abroad, online merchants can avoid any regulatory issues and grow their businesses in a safe, legal way.