Best CBD Oil for Pain: Top 5 Brands in 2020
Debilitating pain can make normal, everyday activities feel impossible to get through. Some people have tried almost anything to take away their chronic pain including dangerous and addictive prescription painkillers.
Thanks to the recent rise in CBD oil, more people struggling with pain have a safer option to help deal with it. Additionally, a host of scientific studies, customer reviews, and articles written by industry experts, are giving more people reason to learn all about the healing, pain-relieving power of CBD oil.
Our article, written in conjunction with Cannabis Radar, dives into the anatomy of pain and ways that CBD oil can help to alleviate it. We also objectively explore different CBD oil brands and explain how CBD helps quell the pain.
How We Came Up with Our CBD Oil List
Before we could even begin writing this article, we had to take a thorough look at all of the CBD oil brands out on the market today. Because lots of new brands keep popping out onto the market, our list became longer than we could’ve possibly imagined.
Next, we read a ton of customer reviews, looked at how each brand sourced and made its products, checked to see if the brand used a third-party lab to test its products. We also wanted to see if those results were easy for the customers to find.
Through looking at all of these criteria, we were able to begin removing brands from our list until we were left with only a few brands that adhered to our high standards.
We finally narrowed the list down even further until we were left with the five CBD oil brands that we present to you further down in our article.
Finally, our work would not be complete if we omitted verified customer reviews from actual CBD oil customers, reports from CBD journalists, as well as accounts from niche experts.
As we were cutting down our list of CBD oil brands, we specifically zeroed in on:
- How effective each brand was at handling pain.
- Where each brand sources its hemp from.
- How the brand’s hemp is processed and if it follows FDA guidelines for CBD products.
- Does the brand sell full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, or CBD isolate products?
- Do the products contain less than 0.3% THC?
- Does the brand use an independent third-party lab to test every product, and are those results easy for customers to get?
- Were dosage and usage instructions made clear and given to customers?
- Does the brand have a favorable reputation based on customer reviews and reviews from industry experts?
- Does the brand make it clear through truthful information what CBD does, how CBD works, and what the benefits of CBD are?
After combing through all of this information, we present to you our top picks for the best CBD oil for pain.
Best CBD Oil for Pain
#1 FAB CBD Oil: Best Full Spectrum & Pain
The FAB CBD team first set out in 2017 to both craft top-quality CBD products and also make CBD available to everyone. In order to bring amazing CBD to the masses, everyone at FAB knew that they had to have the highest standards around when it came to crafting quality CBD products. Everyone at FAB has experience in the health and wellness industries, so they know what it takes to get things just right.
FAB CBD has a solid line of products including full-spectrum CBD oils, topical CBD cream, CBD gummies, a line of non-CBD superfoods, and even CBD dog treats for our four-legged friends. FAB begins the creation of all of its products with organic hemp that is sourced from Colorado. Next, a clean, solvent-free, industry-preferred Co2 extraction is used so that all of the brand’s extracts are clean and free of unnecessary and unhealthy chemicals and other dangerous impurities.
Because of this, it was without a shadow of a doubt that we chose FAB CBD as our top pick in our list of best CBD oils for pain. All of FAB’s full-spectrum CBD oils are clean, organic, and loaded with health-boosting terpenes and cannabinoids.
FAB is our number one pick because:
Top Quality Full-Spectrum Oils: FAB crafts an array of high-quality, full-spectrum CBD oils in strengths of 300mg, 600mg, 1200mg, and 2400mg in delicious flavors of vanilla, mint, citrus, berry, and natural.
Variety: FAB has an array of other CBD products including a topical CBD cream, gummies, CBD dog treats, and a line of non-CBD vegan superfoods.
Organic Hemp: All of the organic hemp that FAB uses is sourced in Colorado. The hemp is grown and harvested using high-tech cloning and extraction methods and equipment. By doing this, FAB ensures that each of its customers is getting the best quality products that have been directly created from organic raw materials.
Third-party lab testing: All of FAB’s products are tested by a third-party lab, ProVerde Laboratories. FAB then makes all of those test results available to customers on its website.
Money-Back Guarantee: FAB is a great brand for those who are new to CBD. The brand offers all of its customers a 30-day money-back guarantee on all of its products.
- Clean, organic, quality full-spectrum CBD oils in a selection of strengths and flavors
- Excellent customer service
- Best CBD Oil for Pain Awarded by Laweekly
- All products tested by an independent third-party lab
- Speedy shipping
- Free shipping on all orders over $89
- No shipping to Canada or the UK
- No options for auto-ship or subscription memberships for regular orders
Elixinol has always been committed to learning about and teaching others about hemp. The brand aims to enlighten the world about hemp’s healing properties. According to its website, Elixinol came about because the founders had a passion for the “diverse opportunities that hemp has to offer.”
Elixinol’s team is dedicated to research, science, and creating new, innovative products that are packed with beneficial terpenes, cannabinoids, and flavonoids. The brand has a team of experts in house that are skilled in extraction, processing, growing, and formulating cannabinoid products. Elixinol’s staff also includes experts, medical doctors, research scientists, and veterinarians working together to explore how cannabinoids work within the body and how those cannabinoids can help improve everyday life.
Selection: Elixinol has a wide product selection including full-spectrum CBD oils, capsules, topicals, and product bundles and kits.
Quality Hemp: Elixinol grows its own hemp and therefore is able to control the entire creation process from seed to bottle.
In-house Lab Testing: Even though the brand does not use a third-party lab to test its products, the experts at Elixinol do rigorously test each product in-house for potency, potential contaminants, and others.
- Top-rated return policy
- Large product variety
- Organic hemp sourced from Colorado
- Seed-to-sale brand
- High-quality CBD oil oral applicators
- Slow order processing time, as it takes up to five business days to process an order
- No third-party lab testing (Elixinol only performs its testing in-house)
Endoca offers high-quality CBD products that customers can trust. The goal of the brand is to be an industry leader in hemp extract innovation through its creation of natural CBD extracts. In the same vein, the brand’s mission is to grow, cultivate, and extract CBD from organic hemp that is devoid of preservatives, chemicals, and dangerous toxins.
Endoca believes that both the environment and well-being are important. As such, the brand makes it a point to use sustainable practices in its cultivation methods because it truly wants to make the planet a better place.
Product Selection: Endoca offers its customers CBD oils and tinctures, capsules and pills, edibles, and even CBD skincare.
Chemical Free Products: Endoca sources its hemp from land that is certified organic. Every one of its CBD oils is gluten-free, non-GMO, and vegan. The equipment that its products are manufactured on is handmade and is fueled by waste from the restaurant industry.
Full-Spectrum Products: Endoca’s full-spectrum products are crafted to preserve cannabinoids and other compounds so that customers can get the most health benefits out of the oils.
- Third-party lab testing
- Chemical-free products
- Simple ingredients
- Excellent customer service
- Highly potent full-spectrum CBD oils
- Lack of flavor options for full-spectrum oils
- Expensive products
- No assistance program offered for customers
#4 Charlotte’s Web
Charlotte’s Web’s mission is to make both the planet and humanity better. To that end, the brand seeks to be a leader in the CBD industry through product quality, safety, and consistency. The hemp extract that Charlotte’s Web creates is purposely crafted to be the best quality so that customers can benefit from hemp’s botanical benefits.
Charlotte’s Web was founded in 2013 by the seven Stanley brothers. The brand, located in Boulder, Colorado, first gained worldwide media attention when the CBD created from plants the brothers, who are respected cannabis growers, helped alleviate the chronic seizures of Charlotte Figi, a small child.
Quality: Charlotte’s Web strives to source its hemp from the best farms in Colorado so that customers can take advantage of all the health benefits that pure CBD has to offer. Charlotte’s Web offers customers a variety of products including full-spectrum CBD oils in a variety of strengths and flavors, CBD gummies, capsules, topicals, CBD isolate products and CBD pet products.
Rewards Program: The brand not only offers discounts for veterans, but it also offers everyone else the option of joining a rewards program. Customers can earn one dollar in-store credit for every 100 points they earn.
Community: The team at Charlotte’s Web fosters a sense of community through the support of veterans and other programs.
- Top-quality oils
- Non-GMO hemp grown on farms in Colorado
- Veteran discounts
- Product variety
- Free shipping on all US orders
- Family-run business
- Limited potencies in pet products
CBDistillery was founded by Colorado natives who had big dreams of bringing premium CBD products to everyone. The brand has a large product variety for customers to choose from. CBDistillery loves to use the hashtag “CBD Movement” throughout its social media platforms. According to CBDistillery, the “CBD Movement” is about making CBD accessible to people anywhere and everywhere. Therefore, the brand strives to keep its high-quality products affordable.
Everyone at CBDistillery values accountability, teamwork, respect, a can-do attitude, a drive to succeed in the right way, and enjoyment of the work they do. The brand places a high value on transparency. Therefore, CBDistillery has revamped its product labels to better clearly display the CBD content in each product. Also included in the packaging are informational inserts that give customers insight into what CBD is and what it can do for you.
Product Line: The brand’s product line is fairly extensive and includes CBD oils, softgels, gummies, topical creams, and CBD powders.
Accountability: CBDistillery is a member of the National Hemp Association, which supports the standardization of CBD products and the hemp that is used to create those products.
Easy to Find Lab Reports: CBDistillery has made it easier for customers to locate third-party lab results. Now, instead of looking for results on the brand’s website, customers are able to read the THC levels, batch number, and amount of hemp per serving that’s printed on the product labels.
- Third-party lab results are easy for customers to locate
- Cost-saving programs offered to help veterans, the disabled, and low-income individuals
- Affordable products
- Unique product range including full-spectrum CBD oils
- Customer complaints about flimsy oil droppers
- Ethanol extraction is used over the highly-preferred and cleaner Co2 extraction
What You Should Know When Purchasing CBD Oil for Pain
CBD has become extremely popular, so it’s not surprising that there have been a ton of new brands making their way out onto today’s market. While it’s always nice to have a lot of brands to choose from, we cannot stress enough that not all brands are created equal.
In deciding to purchase a CBD oil for pain, you should always learn:
- Where the brand sources its hemp from. Be mindful of hemp that comes from Europe or Asia as it’s not held to the same regulations as hemp from the United States.
- The amount of THC in full-spectrum products. THC, the compound within cannabis that is responsible for making people feel high, is allowed in full-spectrum products. By law, however, those products must contain less than 0.3% THC. Therefore, you should only purchase products from brands that abide by this law.
- The difference between CBD isolates, full-spectrum, and broad-spectrum products. Not only do full-spectrum products give you the most benefits through the terpenes and cannabinoids they contain, but they also work better with the body’s own endocannabinoid system to help maintain a state of balance among body systems and functions.
- What else is in the products. Sometimes, some brands also include unhealthy and unnatural additives, preservatives, colorings, flavorings, and other chemicals in their CBD products. Always purchase from brands that use all-natural ingredients, are chemical-free, and are certified organic.
- Which brands use an independent third-party lab to regularly test their products. You should also find out if those results are made available to customers. Through third-party lab testing, you will know exactly what you are putting into your body.
The Anatomy of Pain
There are two types of pain: chronic and acute. Chronic pain hangs around well after the initial injury or traumatic event has occurred, while acute pain will linger for a little bit, but will lessen as an injury heals over time.
While acute pain can be easily dealt with, chronic pain is a little more tricky to alleviate. By definition, chronic pain is any type of pain that lasts well over 12 weeks. People who suffer from chronic pain describe living with dull, sharp, burning, aching, or cramping sensations in whatever areas are affected in the body.
Some typical examples of chronic pain include:
- Arthritis pain
- Low back pain
- Pain from trauma
- Pain after surgery
- Headaches – tension headaches or migraines
- Pain from cancer
- Pain from nerve damage or inflammation
- Psychological pain
The U.S. Pain Foundation states that 50 million Americans suffer from chronic pain each and every day. Sadly, there are no accurate tests that can measure pain. Therefore, many clinicians will rely on both diagnostic tests as well as patient reports to determine the severity of the pain and where it could be stemming from.
Tests such as bloodwork, imaging, diagnostic injections, nerve conduction tests, neurological assessments, genetic testing, mobility and strength assessments, and electromyography – a test to assess muscle health and function – can help diagnose pain as well as help doctors to figure out the best treatment.
Health conditions also cause chronic pain. Some of the more common health conditions responsible for chronic pain are:
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ)
- Interstitial cystitis – chronic bladder pressure and pain
Chronic pain can occur in people of any age, however, doctors are finding that it’s much more common in older adults. However, people can develop chronic pain if they have had an injury, surgery, are female, or are obese or overweight.
Some typical treatments for chronic pain can include physical therapy, chiropractic, massage, psychotherapy, yoga, nerve blocks, electrical stimulation, surgery, over-the-counter pain relievers such as acetaminophen and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, or NSAIDs, prescription opioid pain relievers, and antidepressants or anticonvulsants.